Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Tools of the Blog

As I mentioned in my first post, in this post I thought I should probably tell you about a few of the main websites I will be using to share my passion for music with you on this blog.  Up first is Lala.com, followed by Songkick.com, Last.fm, and Setlist.fm.

Lala.com – This is a great site for streaming full songs and albums. This site provides one free full length stream of every song in their library. After your one free listen, you can hear a 30 second sample for free, pay 10 cents for infinite steaming of that song or pay the going rate for the mp3 or mp3 album. I really like this site in general, and I like it for this blog because I can embed a song or cd here and you can hear the whole thing without much difficulty. You can see a couple of my favorite features in the sidebar, and there are tons of other cool things about the site, so maybe I’ll go into more detail in a future post.  For now, feel free to check it out yourself, sign up and "follow" me (Dan B.).  Once you are signed up, you can use the players at the right and listen to the linked music. 

Songkick.com – A great site that started in the United Kingdom and that lets people track their concert history and see upcoming shows using all sorts of search criteria. For past shows, you can upload lots of information – pictures, setlists, reviews, etc…, and once it’s uploaded, anyone else can see it too. For upcoming shows, along with artists and dates, you can see who else on the site is going and usually link to a ticket vendor. As I mentioned in my first post, my user name is OffHeGoes6, so sign up and track me.  The biggest drawback of this site is that the user base isn’t quite as big as I’d like to see it. For most of the shows I’ve seen, I’m the only person or one of only a few on the site who was there. Check it out – Maybe we can help this site take off!

Last.fm – This site has some features in common with the two sites listed above. It has a concert history tracking tool like Songkick, and also has some streaming like Lala.com. I personally prefer the other sites more, so I don't use this all that much. The streaming on Lala is much easier to use, and last.fm’s music selection is more limited. The concert tracking and history on last.fm has more people using it locally, but Songkick seems to be the better organized and cleaner looking site. If you are curious about this one, my username here is Nothingman6, so check it out as well.

Setlist.fm – I think this site’s use is pretty obvious from its name.  It is a concert setlist wiki where anyone can go in and add or edit setlists for a given show.  As I mentioned, Songkick also has a setlist feature with all of its shows, but setlist.fm is nice because they have a view that I can embed in this blog for shows that I want to talk about or review.  

There are tons of other great music websites out there that I may talk about in the future, but these a few that I like and will using for this blog.  If you have questions or comments about any of these tools or the way I use them, post a comment or email me!

Also, does anyone know where I got my user names for Songkick and Last.fm from?

1 comments:

Robyn said...

dan, what a fantastic new blog. i'm definitely excited to follow you on the blog and all of the other websites.

and what a softball of a question as to where you got your user names from! i'll be a good sport and let someone else answer, though.