Monday, December 7, 2009

Album Off The Shelf #1 - Marty Casey & Lovehammers - Marty Casey & Lovehammers

As I mentioned in my first post, my wife and I own over 850 cds (but who's counting!).  When you own that many, you don't always listen to the older ones all that often, and sometimes it's interesting to go back and see what you've got "on the shelf."  For this post, I asked my wife to go and pick something older or less common off the shelf, and she came back with the self titled album from Marty Casey & Lovehammers.  In the future to do another post like this, I may pick another album at random, or I may pick something that I've been thinking about that deserves another listen.  I won't review these albums, but will provide some thoughts on why I bought the album, and what I like or don't like about it. 

As for Marty Casey & Lovehammers, this album came out in 2006  after Marty Casey was runner-up on the TV show Rock Star INXS.  On the show, the remaining members of the band INXS were looking for a singer to replace the deceased Michael Hutchence.  It was an interesting show that was sort of a rock version of American Idol.  Marty Casey came in second on the show, but he stood out to me, and I thought he deserved to win.  He had some great performances (including The Killers' "Mr. Brightside") and on one episode, he performed an original song, "Trees.

The song "Trees" was included on the Marty Casey & Lovehammers album, and this alone motivated me to buy the album.  It's embedded below, but I'm warning you now, its really catchy! The lyrics are a little bit silly, but I'll be surprised if you aren't humming or singing it for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, the rest of Marty Casey & Lovehammers is not streaming through Lala, but the link at least gives you the option to buy the mp3s. 

The rest of the album is also pretty good.  If I had to categorize it, I would say it fits in quite well with mainstream modern rock of the early 2000's.  While it is nothing truly amazing, it is a well polished album, and I'm surprised it didn't catch on a little more.  Especially with the lead singer having appeared on a prime time TV reality show.  A few of my other favorites from the album are "Casualty" and "Rain On The Brain."  If you listen to those songs and enjoy them, then you would probably enjoy this album.

Also, if you are interested, it looks like Lovehammers (Casey is still part of the band) have a new album, Heavy Crown. 


2 comments:

Shari said...

How come we never bought Ryan Star's cd? He was on that show too, and I really liked him!

http://www.amazon.com/Songs-Eye-Elephant-R-Star/dp/B000CAKJKE

Anonymous said...

Lovehammers' new CD, Heavy Crown, will blow you away! So many good songs on there. One of my favorites is the title track, which Marty wrote about a loved one's battle with cancer. Having lost my sister to that terrible disease, I find that this song moves me to the core. It rings so true to her experience, that I still can't listen to it without the tears welling up.
A few more favorites are Driving Blind, which feels like soaring on waves of sound and emotion, Loaded, a straight-out rock blast, and Oh My Baby, a catchy tune that features some truly tasty guitar work.